Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world (James 1:27).
The PURE Ministry seeks to respond to our mandate as faithful servants of Jesus Christ, to Express Religion that is Pure and Undefiled, by caring for widows and orphans in their distress. (James 1: 27)
It is our desire and our prayer that as we commit ourselves to be Spirit led, joyful servants to the members of our local church family, and supporters of those ministry partners with whom we share a common vision and values, God will employ our labor and gifts to meet the material, emotional and spiritual needs of widows, orphans, and all those whom the Lord places within the reach of the PURE Ministry.
- We affirm that every human being regardless of race, sex, ability, appearance or stage of development is an image bearer of God, and as such is endowed with life worthy protection and dignity worthy of respect. (Gen. 1: 27-28; Ps. 139: 30; Gal. 1: 3)
- We affirm that because God is a defender of the defenseless and a father to the fatherless, we likewise must show genuine compassion to those who are most vulnerable and in need. (Ex. 22: 22; Dt. 10: 18; Jer. 22: 3)
- We affirm that although we labor to do justice to the fatherless and plead the cause of the widow (Is. 1: 17), our primary goal is to proclaim the good news that God in his great love for the lost has sent into the world his only son, Jesus the Christ (John 3: 16; Rom. 5: 8), so that whoever will turn from their sin and trust in him alone will be saved. (Acts 4: 12)
- Under the supervision of the diaconate, the PURE Ministry will provide to church leadership and members regular and timely communication about various ministry initiatives, such as service projects for widows, respite care for adoptive and foster families, and orphan care activities aimed at addressing the needs of those we seek to serve.
- As PURE Ministry leaders develop and coordinate programs and activities, we will encourage and enlist broad participation in our endeavors among members of the GBC church family. Examples of such participation may include becoming a regular PURE ministry prayer partner, financially supporting or joining a short-term ministry travel team, participating on a work crew in support of a widow in our church family or providing a form of family support (i.e. help with child care, meals, etc.) to an adoptive or foster family in our church family).
- The PURE Ministry leadership team will meet meet at least once per quarter to pray and encourage one another, share information, and plan and coordinate ministry activities.
Fear not, for you will not be ashamed; be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more. For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called. For the Lord has called you like a wife deserted and grieved in spirit, like a wife of youth when she is cast off, says your God. For a brief moment I deserted you, but with great compassion I will gather you. In overflowing anger for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,” says the Lord, your Redeemer. (Isa. 54: 4-8)